Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Anyone for Tea?

Just after I came back to university after the Easter holidays, I had a (very brief) health kick, mainly consisting of me putting spinach in every meal possible, and drinking a load of different fruit and herbal teas. Although the health kick and spinach obsession is over, I have developed a new appreciation for drinking tea and the health benefits that come along with it.

Lemon Green Tea

I've always heard that green tea is meant to be very good for you, however I also heard that it can taste awful if made incorrectly. So, I decided to get lemon green tea first, in the hope that it wouldn't taste too strong, and put me off my health endeavour before it even really started! I also only let it infuse for one minute, as I don't want it to be too strong. Because green tea is an antioxidant, it contains many nutrients that your body needs. It has been proven improve brain function, and is also a natural fat burner because it can increase your metabolism (which is why I drink a cup every morning with my breakfast, to set me up for the day). It may also reduce the risk of diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer's, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease, which sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

18741736_758149401023120_615410356_n

Raspberry and Strawberry Tea

Raspberry and strawberry tea contains many very important vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C, and also provides many antioxidants and nutrients that are beneficial to digestive health. I usually leave this to infuse for about two minutes as it can also be quite strong, but it can be left longer if you prefer. And, with only 2 calories per cup, this is the perfect afternoon drink for the summer!

18718178_758149411023119_1280011794_n

Lemon and Ginger Tea

Lemon and ginger tea has antibacterial and antiseptic properties (I know, fancy huh?!), so along with its high vitamin content, it does wonders for your skin and also hair! Its anti-inflammable characteristics can also reduce headaches, swelling and inflammation. Both lemon and ginger promote fat loss, and can therefore be used in combination with a healthy diet to lose weight. I've also found that adding honey not only adds to the flavour, but also can help to relieve a sore throat. I brew mine for about two minutes to get the perfect strength of flavour.

Peppermint Tea

I love to drink peppermint tea at night before I go to bed, as it has been proven to give you a more restful sleep, due to its menthol properties. It may also cause a slight oestrogen boost, leading to hormonal benefits such as clearer skin and acne reduction. It also has mental health benefits, as it can improve concentration and focus, and relieve anxiety. I leave the tea bag to brew for about 3 minutes, as it isn't as strong as green tea, so you can afford to forget about it for a while!

18718618_758149407689786_1931746413_n



No comments